Saturday, March 22, 2014

Beerador

My friends at the Stockyard recently purchased this beerador from a restaurant going out of business in Coon Valley, WI. I know it has nothing to do with pottery but I think it is a work of art. 
This beerador is circa 1939. Made by the Jewett Refrigeration Company in Buffalo, NY. The Old Style beer label was painted on the beerador probably by some local artist in La Crosse, WI, one time home of G. Heilman Brewery. The hand-painted images come from the original Old Style beer labels which reflect scenes of Heilman's hometown on the northwestern edge of the Swabian Jura, in Germany, a steep escarpment called the Albtrauf.
I've spent a lot of hours researching beeradoors and have only come across about a dozen photos of these units in working condition. Out of the dozen, four of them are in the La Crosse area. I'm sure there must be more out there but have only seen about a dozen with my own eyes.
If you have seen a beerador or know any more information about their history, please make a comment.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, There was a beeradoor Natty Bo refrigerator in the Dead End Saloon, Fells Point, MD. Sadly it closed in 2012. Sure wish I had a photo of it. Everyone still remembers it.

Unknown said...

I have one in my bar. Iam trying to find out more about the steel and the mechanics. It's an icon in this town and I would like to get it running. Befor the 2020 prohibition is over.

Unknown said...

Any knowledge that you think might be helpful would be awesome. Thank you Schafers Bar

Anonymous said...

There is one in Columbus Ohio. Late night slice in Old Town East. Is isn’t functioning. I’d like to fix it.

Anonymous said...

It was a Heineken not natty bo