Sunday, July 31, 2005

Wabi Sabi



I have found a new sense of beauty in a simple form and a simple glaze thanks to Wabi Sabi and the Japanese style tea bowl (Chawan).
What the heck is Wabi Sabi, you might ask? Actually, it is proably best explained by Leonard Koren--"Wabi Sabi is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete. It is a beauty of things modest and humble. It is a beauty of things unconventional....The closest English word to Wabi Sabi is probably rustic...Things Wabi Sabi are unstudied and inevitable looking....unpretentious...Their craftmanship may be impossible to discern." (from "Wabi Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets, and Philosophers")
So what am I rambling on about and whats this got to do with my teapot boats? I don't know yet. I'm just letting people know that I'm making a heck of a lot of tea bowls and have been bitten by the Shino bug (the type of glaze I am experimenting with). Oh, I'm still working on the boats. I think the next boat posted will be "P-Tea-109.

No comments: