Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pulled Handles

I like the fluidity of handles that are pulled directly from the mug. For those of you that do not know what pulled handles are, here is a quick description.
First I roll out coil of clay about 2-inches wide and a foot long. Then I dip that coil in in a 5-gallon bucket of water. With my right hand I lightly grip the coil and pull downward till I get to the bottom of the coil. I then dip the coil again and make another pull. I repeat this process till I get a nice long smooth coil.
Next I place the coil on my wedging board and cut it into pieces that fit the size mugs I made. The remnant of the pulled coil can be seen in the lower left corner of this photo.
Next step is to slip and score the mugs and the handle pieces and attach them to the mugs, as seen above. Once I have all the handles attached to the mugs I repeat the "pulling" process right off the mug pulling the handle in a downward motion and attach the bottom of the handle to the mug with my thumb. I cut the excess off and use my personalized stamp for the final touch.

1 comment:

Lighting Topeka said...

Thank you for shharing this