Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bisqued Pot

Since I am frequently asked, I thought I'd
explain to all my non-potter friends the various
steps or stages that go into producing a finished piece of pottery.
Pictured in this post is the same burnished pot I posted on Friday June 8th in its' leather hard stage.
Now the pot has been bisque fired. Bisque firing is kind of like a "pre-cooking" stage that basically takes out the molecular water so the pot doesn't explode in the final firing. Bisque firning also burns out the organic matter and makes the clay hard, yet porous enough to absorb glazes.
Since this pot will be barrel fired no glaze will be applied and it is now ready to be fired.
Most potters bisque fire, in an electric kiln, to temperatures between 1700 and 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and measure the temperature by using "cones" placed inside the kiln. I'll explain what the heck cones are and how they work in a future post. Next Post Up--Loading The Barrel Kiln.