Saturday, August 22, 2009

Build Your Own Potter's Wheel



The potter's wheel works. This wheel was constructed out of materials found lying around the shop. The only thing that was purchased was a stainless steel drain hole that was mounted in the right hand corner of the table top to make cleaning easier. I'll post some step by step photos of the construction a bit later. There is still some tweeking to do. It still needs some paint and a spring operated footpedal for the motor assist but otherwise the wheel is done.

5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Wow, you are so unbelievably talented.

chery said...

I am wondering if my neighbor owns some of your early work. He has a set of black coffee mugs with unglazed bottoms and each mug is marked jeffery r guin 92. at least that what it looks like. They are very unique with two different textures on the outside.

Jeffrey R. Guin said...

Yes, they are mine. I was at Bemidji State University in MN at the time. Would like to find out who has them and find out if I know the person. Where does your neighbor live?

Renee said...

Hi Jeff,
I was on your website Clean Mud and saw your handmade wheel. I have a couple of questions for you.
1. Is your wheel a kick wheel or a treadle?
2. I looked on the Coulee website for your pictures on how to make this and linked page is no longer active. Could you send them to me?

You've inspired my to make my own wheel, as I am thinking of returning to throwing.

Thanks for your time
Renee

Julia said...

Here's a link that will take you to the slideshow:
http://slideshows.embtv.com/gallery/?site=wkbt&gallery=236