Sunday, June 01, 2008

Raku Glaze Recipes

Since I didn't post a raku glaze recipe yesterday, I've decided to post two today.

Reynolds Wrap Raku Glaze
Gerstley Borate 63%
Custer Feldspar 12%
Silica 12%
Ball Clay 6%
Barium Carb. 6%
Copper Carb. 12%

This raku glaze produces blues and dark greens with copper red flashings. If heavily reduced in both kiln and post firing this glaze could be called "polished copper."

Hawaiian Blue Raku Glaze
Gerstley Borate 80%
Bone Ash 20%
Add:
Copper Carb. 5%
Cobalt Ox. 5%
Tin Ox. 3%

This raku glaze is a nice glossy deep, rich, cobalt blue--A Brilliant cobalt blue.

I fired up my raku kiln yesterday. Wanted to try rakuing a big terra cotta pot I had. I also fired a couple tea bowls to fill the kiln. The terra cotta pot cracked right in half as I was removing it from the kiln. I think terra cotta might have a lot of potential. I glazed it with Soldners clear raku glaze. The tea bowls came out just fine. Tomorrow, or the next day, I'll post some photos of my last barrel firing. Stay tuned.